Mother's hold their daughters hands for a little while, but their hearts forever.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

More from NY

Sweet Jade- this was awhile after she was stung
T.J. spraying the hole of ground bees- "Don't mess with my dogs!" :)

Deer in the backyard!


Troop with his TWO shock collars on b/c he likes to run through the underground fence- HA!



Okay so let’s see- today is the 25th- we still don’t have the internet but I thought I’d go ahead and get another blog “prepared”! T.J. just took Jade out to the “6 mile creek” across the street and so I have a few minutes before we’ll heat up our sour cream chicken enchiladas (YUMMMMMM- thank you Rose Matlock! And mom for giving it to me!)

Let’s go back in time a little bit… I forgot to tell ya’ll about Jade and her “near death” experience! (At least this is what we thought!!) So the morning after we arrive in NY we wake up to the dogs yelping- Troop won’t stop barking and Jade is WHIIIINING big time- T.J. gets up (it’s about 6:30 AM) to check on them and we keep hearing Troop bark but don’t really think anything about it- we’re probably just assuming T.J.’s hanging out with them and Troops being himself! Come to find out… this is the scene T.J. walked out to: Jade COVERED in bees- from the tip of her snout to her feet, she was rolling around trying to get them off but they had swarmed her and weren’t going anywhere- Jade and Troop were both on long leashes (b/c our fence wasn’t done yet) so Jade didn’t have anywhere to run away from the bees- Troop was trying to help her (although I don’t know how he could’ve! And was barking for our attention and his leash wouldn’t let him get to her) soooooo when T.J. comes out Jade stops rolling around and just sits up staring at T.J. to “help her” (keep in mind HUNDREDS of bees are on her) T.J. just had a split second decision and he has no shoes or a shirt on and he can’t let her die like this! So he goes in- unclips her leash and lets Jade run away from the hive. After she rolled around for a bit T.J. had to flick the remaining 30 or so bees off of her that were stuck in her… sooo (okay this is longer then I wanted) we ended up taking her to the emergency vet b/c she was delirious and had over 300 stings to her sweet little body!! After a couple days she was better (with medicine) but she has a million scabs all over her now!! That was NOT a fun way to start this journey!!

Totally switching gears-

T.J.’S POSITION

In case you aren’t exactly sure what T.J. is going to do here in NY here it is- he will be pursuing a master’s degree for fisheries and aquatic ecology- in the natural resources department. There is actually a project that T.J. is going to complete and after the project, and a thesis he will receives his masters. This is a paid position which is awesome! T.J. will be in the Esopous Creek in NY tracking trout and their conditions related to certain factors in the environment- if you really have questions you need to ask him J All I know is that I’m really proud of him and this is going to be some 2-3 years!! Although… we did find out after moving here that each summer T.J. will be required to stay at the creek for 2-3 months… yes, that means me alone here in our house… I know… I don’t even know what to think about that yet except I’m PRAYING I’ll have friends here by then J I will get to visit him every other weekend or so if I can take the trip out there (it’s about 3 hrs away). T.J. is really excited about the program- although he is aware that this will be the hardest thing he’s ever done. The professor he’s working under has VERY high expectations and T.J. just wants to make sure he can go above and beyond those expectations- which takes a lot of dedication!!

A JOB FOR ME

Well… I don’t have a job out here yet! It hasn’t been even 2 weeks yet since we’ve arrived so I’m not freaking out yet J although- I’ll just go ahead and tell you that in Ithaca it’s REALLY hard to find a job. There are almost no listings I even want to apply for… so that is something that we will be praying about!! I had thought about nannying (and even interviewed with one family) but after the family I interviewed with went with a “live in” nanny I realized that really wasn’t something that could “get me out there” and help me develop some friendships!! I will keep you updated on this! :) There are 2 jobs right now I have applied for that I’m crossing my fingers on…


So! T.J. starts school on Thursday and Friday I’m going out all day with his advisor’s wife :) Haha!! I’m just glad to have someone to talk to (T.J. can only handle so much from me) ;) Then Friday night we are going to eat with our landlords which I’m sure will be fun too!! Saturday T.J. is going to show me the Esopous Creek I think J Sunday we will try another church- last Sunday we were LITERALLY the only people our age within like 15 years… so we’re hoping to have a little more diversity next week!!

Another thing I found that is different about NY then OK- at the gas pump it is illegal to walk away while pumping and the pumps don’t have a “lock” for your pump- you literally have to stand there and hold the pump the whole time- very annoying… the things OK spoil us with!!! :)

Sorry no really fun stories!!!! T.J. and I are having a lot of fun together up here though. We rented “I love you man” and “17 again” at redbox b/c we don’t have TV yet and we have no idea what to rent :) so we just keep quoting movie quotes back and forth to each other and we haven’t gotten tired of each other yet!! :) I’m sure he’ll get tired of me sooner or later!!

One thing I have realized though is that moving gives you MANY cuts, bruises and scrapes- I literally don’t think I’ve ever felt more “beat up” then after moving!! Especially when Troy, Debbie and me and T.J. went to a creek and I fell face first into a rock wall :) a bruised chin and wet body later we thought we were fine until Debbie slipped and cut open her toe :) Then T.J. took me out to the 6 mile creek and I hop on in after him and what do you know- I slip down to my neck :) SO GREAT- it was a pretty fun laugh though!! Okay- off to go eat!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting!! Sounds like you've had adventures galore!! We miss you here but what you are doing is such a big thing and life is gonna be even better when TJ is done!! I hope you meet some really cool new friends!! Love you Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great blogger. I love reading about your adventures, even though I feel so bad for Jade! I'm probably going to come out and see you early next year, Mom mentioned something so I hope it works out :) Of course, Brynn will be coming too. Love you and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to make my name show up :(

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete