Mother's hold their daughters hands for a little while, but their hearts forever.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Book Review #2

"Litte Earthquakes"- it was a good read.  Jennifer Weiner is a very creative writer and I had fun reading this book.  Each chapter switched characters which I like.  There are 4-5 girls in this book with VERY different lives all suffering "little earthquakes"- this book is "real" and you really feel like you're a struggling mom or a not loved wife or a workaholic, etc.  I would advise this book for a good "break" out of your normal routine of books.  I kinda flew through it!










"The Last Sin Eater"- hmmm...
Oh sin eater.... I really DON'T know if I recommend this book or not.  I am NOT LYING when I tell you it took be OVER 1/2 way of reading this book to actually be interested in what was going to happen!  The book is based in the 1850's and so it has HORRIBLE grammar, etc. so it was hard to read their vocabulary, grammar and so on.  Francine Rivers is one of my favorite authors and I was surprised by this book.  But also bravo to her b/c this is (to me) unlike any of her other books.  I have NEVER (that I can recall) not finished a book (NOT including college books) :) If I start it I HAVE to finish it but I think 70% of people would've stopped trying to read this book 4 chapters into it.  It had a GREAT message in the end and I guess I'm glad I read it?? :)  This is more a book that is great for group discussion and should be assigned to read if you go to a Christian school (my lil sis Julia said at her school she was required to read this!) so anyways... I probably wouldn't have gotten through this as fast as I did except I was in the Catskills with T.J. and I had nothing else to do while he worked all day!

"The Kite Runner"- a surprise.

I did NOT know what I was getting myself into let me just tell you that right now!  I literally thought I was going to be reading about a boy and his kite or something!  LOL boy was I wrong.  This is a GUT WRENCHING, fist clenching, eyes squinting kind of book.  As in I am twisting my body and making "noooo" noises b/c I don't want certain things to happen!!!  This books has some insight of what life was like for Afghanistan kids before their land was destroyed and after.  I would advise on the strong ones to read this book.  I'm GLAD I did, REALLY glad but it was HARD to read some of the stuff and I would NOT read this book lightly... This book stirred my heart to pray pray pray.  Thank you Kendi for sharing this book with me!

3 comments:

  1. I know to all of the above, a very difficult read, but you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm REALLY glad I read it... would just advise people to be prepared (obviously you knew I could handle it) but I'm sure some people couldn't, eye opener though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly! You crack me up! YOU LOVE TO READ!!!!!

    ReplyDelete