Mother's hold their daughters hands for a little while, but their hearts forever.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nana's Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars :)

Oh you THOUGHT you knew what a good dessert was didn't you? :)

I know many people have their "secret" recipes that is theirs to keep (and if you do that is FINE) I however like to share all mine! :) Why not right?? This is my FAVORITE dessert. It's my nana's chocolate peanut butter bars and I know if she was alive she'd be happy I was sharing it with people! This is literally to die for!

Nana's recipe for chocolate peanut butter bars
you will need:
1 c. butter (or margarine) creamed
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 c. peanut butter & then another 1/2 c. for later(I like to use the extra crunchy kind)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 c. quick oats (1 minute oats- like the Quaker brand)
1 12 oz. package of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c. powdered sugar
2 or so tbs. of milk

Directions:
*Preheat oven to 350
*Cream butter and gradually add in sugar & brown sugar. Cream well. (I usually melt the butter 1/2 way first b/c it makes it easier to do this) :)
*Blend in eggs, peanut butter (which I also heat up for a good 20-25 seconds so it can mix better), baking soda, salt and vanilla.
*Add flour and oats, mixing between them.
*Spread this mixture into a 13x9 GREASED baking pan (I usually use glass but probably doesn't matter)
*Bake at 350 for 22-24 minutes. (The original recipe states 30-35 but I think 25 minutes is actually even too long!!) We don't want these suckers to be hard do we? No! :) It will be a nice golden brown and you will be able to tell the edges are done.
*When you take out the pan sprinkle the pan immediately with the whole bag of chocolate chips, evenly distribute them across the top.
*Let the chocolate chips stand for about 5-7 minutes (maybe even a tish longer)
*While chocolate chips are melting mix together 1 c. powdered sugar, 1/2 c. peanut butter (I heat the peanut butter up in the microwave for about 25 seconds to make it easier to mix), and 2-3 tbs. of milk (go easier on the milk you want this mixture not to be too runny!), mix well.
*Spread the melted chocolate chips across the entire top of the dessert with a spoon or fork.
*Then drizzle the peanut butter/powdered sugar mix on top of the melted chocolate chips. I usually swirl it all around on top :)

Then you are DONE! :)

MAKE SURE TO EAT A PIECE RIGHT THEN! It won't be that hard and it will fall apart when you take out a piece at that point but you won't regret it b/c it is SO DELICIOUS! :)

Also keep in mind... I NEVER EAT THIS DESSERT WITHOUT HEATING UP MY PIECE FOR 15-20 SECONDS, it should always be eaten while warm in my opinion with a big glass of milk :)


3 comments:

  1. OMG! Remember when I ate 100 of these when I was preggers?!?! These are SOOO good! Can't wait to make them!!! YUMMZO!! Thanks for sharing!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright. I'm going to make this for my next smallgroup that I'm assigned dessert!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding ya'll accountable.. have you tried them yet? Michelle I made the mac bites :) SO GOOD!!! great lil appetizers

    ReplyDelete